Arnold Bosman is the founder of Transmissible – an international Public Health Consultancy Enterprise that provides expertise in health project design and evaluation, capacity assessments, intervention epidemiology projects and postgraduate professional development. In addition, he is manager of video productions for public health and facilitator of evaluations of public health events (‘post mortems’).
Arnold graduated as a medical doctor in 1990 and specialised in public health epidemiology. Until 2016 he headed the Public Health Training Section at the European Centre for Disease Prevention & Control (ECDC). During the 10 years at ECDC he was leading the development of a new training programme in Public Health Microbiology ‘EUPHEM’, the design and development of an online community platform for public health information sharing ‘FemWiki’ and the design and development of the ECDC Virtual Academy ‘EVA’. Prior to that he was chief scientific coordinator for the European Programme for Intervention Epidemiology Training ‘EPIET’. He has worked as senior consultant in outbreak response and project leader in surveillance at the National Institute for Public Health and the Environment ‘RIVM’ in the Netherlands. At the start of his public health career he was project leader of public health informatics projects in infectious disease surveillance and has worked for several years as a local communicable disease control consultant.
Arnold has over 25 years of experience in public health and communicable disease control, over 15 years of experience in coordinating and managing training programmes. He has undertaken short-term consultancies for the World Health Organization (WHO), in response to outbreaks of avian influenza and for public health capacity assessment. In addition, he is an Associate Editor for Frontiers Digital Health and Review Editor at Frontiers Public Health Policy.
He is widely published in medical peer review journals in his areas of expertise and has authored several scientific reports for international public health organizations. In addition, he is a certified virtual teacher, specialized in online and blended classroom formats.
Arnold has (co-)authored international peer reviewed publications with over 2000 citations in the area of public health research, medical informatics and educational programmes:
Acknowledged contributions to international public health reports
In addition, Arnold provided acknowledged contributions to and supervised the following international reports:
- Assessing communicable disease control and prevention in EU enlargement countries: Disease surveillance, preparedness and response, health governance and public health capacity development. ECDC Technical Report. Stockholm, January 2016. DOR 10.2900/411660.
- Data Quality and Surveillance System Evaluation: a Handbook of Methods and Applications. ECDC Technical Report, 2014. DOI:10.2900/35329
- ECDC Rapid Risk Assessment: Outbreak of Ebola virus disease in West Africa Fourth update, 3 September 2014.
- Safe use of personal protective equipment in the treatment of infectious diseases of high consequence: A tutorial for trainers in healthcare settings. Version 2: 2 December 2014. DOI 10.2900/339505
- Use of personal protective equipment for safe first assessment of Persons Under Investigation of Ebola virus disease in the EU/EEA: A tutorial for healthcare professionals. ECDC Technical Document, December 2014. DOI 10.2900/063480
- ECDC public health training: Aligning training strategies between Member States and the EU level, 2014–2020. ECDC Meeting Report, Stockholm, 23–24 October 2013.
- Workshop on training capacity, resources and needs assessment for the EU candidate countries and potential candidates. ECDC Meeting Report, Stockholm, March 2012, DOI 10.2900/26832
- Training strategy for intervention epidemiology in the European Union. ECDC Meeting Report 2007.
- Training strategy for intervention epidemiology in Europe. ECDC Meeting Report 2005.
- Core competencies for infection control and hospital hygiene professionals in the European Union. ECDC Technical Report. DOI 10.2900/7778
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Catalogue of infection control and hospital hygiene courses in the European Union – 2016. Stockholm: ECDC; 2017.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Vaccine-preventable diseases and immunisation – core competencies. Stockholm: ECDC; 2017. DOI:10/2900/86815